Become a Trademark Licensee
Accessing Princeton’s Graphic Identity Systems/Guidelines
Art Work Submission and Reviews
All artwork/product designs must be submitted for review and approval prior to any production, marketing or sales. Designs may be submitted through:
When developing production schedules licensees should take into consideration the amount of time required for Princeton’s review and approval of artwork. If possible, Trademark Licensing (TML) will try to accommodate requests for urgent artwork review.
Royalty Reports and Payments
Royalty Reports and payments are due on a quarterly basis (even if no sales activity occurred during the quarter). The reports and associated payments are due no later than 30 days after the end of the calendar quarter (refer to the schedule below). Licensees will receive email notifications regarding royalty reports for each quarter, along with a blank report form.
|Quarter||Reporting Period||Due Date|
|1st||January 1 – March 31||April 30|
|2nd||April 1 – June 30||July 30|
|3rd||July 1 – September 30||October 30|
|4th||October 1 – December 31||January 30
Payments may be made by:
- ACH (automated clearing house), contact the Associate Director of Trademark Licensingfor details
- Check, made payable to The Trustees of Princeton University.
CLPA Authentication Program
The CLPA (Collegiate Licensing Product Association) is a non-profit organization consisting of colleges, universities, bowls and special properties that participate in the CLPA Authentication Program. Princeton is an active CLPA member and requires licensees to affix either the CLPA hangtag or holographic sticker to all Licensed Products and/or packaging. The CLPA Authentication Program helps to protect its members from unlicensed/counterfeit merchandise. To find out more about the program or to order hangtags, labels or holographic stickers please visit the CLPA website.
Proposed Licensed Products
The Licensed Products list is a resource which indicates the types of merchandise that may be manufactured under a trademark license. If a product is not included on this list, please contact the Associate Director of Trademark Licensing to determine if it may be produced under a trademark license.
|Athletic Style Garments||Running shorts||T-Shirts|
|Polo Shirts||Tank Tops|
|Basketballs||Floor Mats||Plaques/Picture Frames|
|Beach Mats||Footballs||Plush and Stuffed Animals|
|Blankets||Golf Clubs & Covers||Snack Trays|
|Book Bags||Handkerchiefs||Sport Shoes|
|Bumper Sticker||Ice Buckets||Sunglasses|
|Calendars||Jewelry||Tennis Racket Covers|
|Campus Map||Key Chains||Thermos Bottles|
|Campus Photos||Key Holders||Towels|
|Carry-All Bags||Letter Openers||Volleyballs|
|Casual Shoes||License Plate Frames||Wall Hangings|
|Ceramic Plates||Loose Leaf Binders||Wallets|
|Ceramic Cups/Mugs||Memo Pads||Wastebaskets|
|Class Rings||Neckties||Wrapping Paper|
|Coin Purses||Paper Holders|
List of Current Products by Approved Licensees
The Current Products by Approved Licensee List provides the names of current licensees and examples of their merchandise. This list may change as licensees receive approval to change their product offerings.
Products Princeton will not License
The following items are excluded from Princeton’s Trademark Licensing Program and may not be used with any of Princeton University’s trademarks or logos:
- Items for official Princeton business purposes and official Princeton ceremonies, including, but are not limited to, stationery, business cards, directories and official reports
- Items such as personal bank checks and address labels
- Princeton Letter Sweater
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tobacco and smoking products
- Food products
- Sexually oriented goods
- Healthcare products and toiletries
- Goods related to gambling, lotteries, sweepstakes
- Religious or burial goods
- Products of a political nature
- Education-related products
- Goods including names or pictures of current students (i.e., athletes, movie stars, etc.)
- Services of any kind (i.e. moving companies, area entertainment programs or tour services)
- Advertising or promotional literature of any kind
- Goods making unfavorable references to race, religion, sex, national origins or handicaps
- Firearms and weapons
- Products in "poor taste", including bathroom products
Advertising Princeton Licensed Products in the Princeton Alumni Weekly (PAW)
Information about placing an advertisement in the Princeton Alumni Weekly may be found on PAW’s website.
Calendar of Princeton Events
For a calendar of public events at Princeton University.